Tuesday, April 12, 2016

exchange experience and reflection

I didn't really learn much during the exchange much of what was spoken about was based on information that I knew prior to the exchange. I am a little sad that I couldn't ask if there were any immense differences between cultural norms, or social cultural exchanges/or practices that are considered either acceptable or polite. However I learned the Chinese adjective for nervous is jǐnzhāng 张. Aside from the expression portrait activity the group I was with discussed education, and some difference in school and hours, for example in America students can have a part time job where as in China students can't because they need to spend more time studying, and the reason many students are adamant about their studies would be due to the inability to choose the major they may like if their grade isn't high enough so students may be far more competitive and strive for the best grade in addition there is a greater limit with majors for degrees. The group that the exchange was between consisted of two of my classmates and two-three exchange students. The English names of the people we had exchanged with were Jack and Jackie who were both teachers and they had both agreed that School is much more strict and classes were often more disciplined. I would like to be in contact with them again someday but I have no idea if I will. During their time here my group had toured four classrooms (because that was about all we had time for) the class rooms which were visited during the tour were: the forensics/ ecology classroom, earth science, material and processing, and the art class where we had afterwards concluded our tour at the library they had many comments, however I don't remember either of the people taking photos as we had toured the building and really can't recall any of the comments made at the time. As that experience was not an ordinary class lesson I was a little nervous and felt slightly anxious about how it would go, I feel that I had a similar mind set about the world and as such I still acknowledge that Culture can influence people, and that the world is a large place and like anyone we are each curious in our own ways however that doesn't mean that we all react the same way/similarly beyond that I feel that our guests may have felt that it was a significantly larger impact for them, and it has impacted like the group each of us are interested in learning more about the others culture. Sadly I don't have any pictures from the exchange. However if Parkview were to do something like this again I would feel much better if we had more time aside from that I would really love to do something like this again.    

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you that we needed more time to simply talk! I hope we can do this again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a blast to have you in my classes this year, both film and creative writing. You are thoughtful and insightful and very poetic! I hope you keep writing. I'll miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been a blast to have you in my classes this year, both film and creative writing. You are thoughtful and insightful and very poetic! I hope you keep writing. I'll miss you!

    ReplyDelete